I’m Lauren Barnes and I’m a professional soccer play with the Seattle Reign FC. I’m also a plant-based athlete, which has been fairly the adventure. There have been so many obstacles which have tested me each on and off the sector – bodily and mentally. My meal planning continues to be a work in progress as a result of I proceed to seek out issues that work higher than others as I evolve each day.
Being vegan doesn’t all the time imply being healthy. There are so many unhealthy options and choices out there that can be onerous to determine. To make sure that I make healthy decisions, I try to avoid any foods which might be extremely processed and stick with recent meals that come from the earth.
I’m a big believer in listening and understanding your physique. I don’t rely calories or measure any foods, however relatively I take heed to my body and in addition take into accounts my training routine. For instance, main up to a recreation, I might want to gasoline my body in a different way than on a day without work.
My every day routine never seems to be the same, but I’m going to stroll you through some of my favorite recipes, game-day meals, travel planning and some tips I have discovered through the years.
Here is what I sometimes eat in a day:
- Breakfast: Apple pie oatmeal – rolled oats, plant-based protein powder, gala apples, chia seeds, almond milk, cinnamon, pure maple syrup, walnuts & hemp seeds
- Snack: Protein shake
- Lunch: Sweet potato hash – chopped candy potato, onion, purple bell pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, black beans & subject roast “sausages”
- Snack: Rice desserts with almond butter and bananas
- Dinner: Beyond meat burger, sweet potato fries, and combined veggies
I also needed so as to add a few of my favourite pure sweeteners for everyone out there with a candy tooth, some nuts and seeds that may benefit athletes with protein, recovery, and power for apply and games, and lastly nice healthy choices for plant-based protein.
|Sweeteners||Medjool Dates, 100% Pure Maple Syrup, Coconut Sugar, Nut Butters, cocoa|
|Nuts/Seeds||Chia Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Cashews, Almonds, Hemp Seeds, Pepita Seeds|
|Beans/Legumes||Chickpeas, Black Beans, Lentils, Tempeh|
Game Day Nutrition
A lot of people ask me what I eat to gasoline me on recreation day throughout the day and a 90 + minute recreation. My recreation day nutrition appears totally different than what I eat on a normal day. Here is a breakdown of what I eat for recreation days:
- Breakfast: Vanilla Banana Protein Pancakes (made with protein powder) topped with almond butter, recent fruit, nuts & seeds and a splash of maple syrup
- Snack: Banana & almond butter
- Pre-game meal: Dave’s Killer Bagels with hummus and avocado spread, Beyond Meat sweet Italian sausage, hummus & tomato
- Post-game meal: Chocolate protein, cherry, almond butter & almond milkshake with candy potato and Beyond meat burger
Avo Toast (Personal Recipe):
- Two slices of Dave’s Killer Bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Squeeze of lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Tomato slices elective
Sweet Potato Hash (Personal Recipe):
- 1 cup chopped candy potato
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup purple bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 subject roast sausage sliced
As you'll be able to see, it's not likely that difficult. You study to adapt your menu to what works for you through trial and error. Once you've a plan, you attempt to stick with it as a result of it works. It's that straightforward.
I have to make changes that somebody who just isn't on a plant-based weight-reduction plan would not should make, however you would need to do the identical for those who have been going keto or paleo. It's not the weight-reduction plan that is the problem, a lot of the occasions, it's the way you select to make use of it.