From Souk by Nadia Zerouali and Merijn Tol. Recipe and photograph reprinted in association with Smith Street Books.
This recipe is certainly one of many deliciously spiced and flavorful recipes from the new e-book Souk, which options an array of mezze dishes to please the senses. Mezze is a well-liked approach of eating within the Middle East, just like tapas in Spain, the place the type is to serve quite a lot of cold and hot small plates to encourage sharing and savoring the dishes.
Stuffed Eggplant With Bulgur, Walnuts And Mint
Serves four to six
- 2 white onions
- 2¾ oz. walnuts
- ½ bunch recent mint leaves, picked, plus additional to serve
- 3½ oz. effective bulgur
- 2¼ oz. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp dried mint
- 1–2 tsp Turkish pink pepper flakes (pul biber or Aleppo pepper)
- Mild-tasting olive oil
- 3 firm eggplants
- Turkish yogurt
- Chop the onions, walnuts and mint leaves very finely and mix in a bowl with the bulgur, tomato paste, dried mint, purple pepper flakes and salt to taste. Mix in a big spoonful of olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to the very best setting. Cut the eggplants in half lengthways and scoop out a few of the flesh (hold it for soup or a dip). Place the eggplants on a baking tray and fill them with the bulgur combination. Drizzle with some oil, and sprinkle with a bit more salt and purple pepper. Cook the eggplants in the midst of the recent oven until golden brown and cooked by way of.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with some recent mint leaves and with some creamy yogurt on the aspect.